Have you ever had to manage social media during a food recall? Even though you may not have experienced a food recall, it may only be a matter of time. In saying this, preparation is key when it comes to managing your social media. Welcome to HACCP Chat where educational information and interviews are delivered to you in audio format. In this episode, I talk to Steve Heather from The Recall Institute about how to manage social media during a food recall.
In this HACCP Chat, Steve and I discuss:
- The science behind the Friday afternoon recall
- How to stop negative talk by your customers
- The impact of social media on your food business
- Integrating your incident management plan
- Damage to brand
- Online forums for social engagement
- Implementing a social media strategy
- Hepatitis A in frozen Berries recall
- The social media response time-frame
- Good and bad examples of social media response
- How do you know when someone is trashing your food business on social media
Links mentioned in this HACCP Chat
The following links and resources were mentioned in this episode:
My top three takeaways to manage social media
- Social media strategy. You need to have a strategy that outlines the how, the when and the who of managing social media during a food recall. This is in addition to having robust incident management documented, implemented and maintained for your food business.
- Immediate response can be your saving grace. Keep in front of the media hype by responding to all comments and feedback in a timely and positive manner.
- Identify where the talk is. At a very minimum, set up a social media alert system that tells you who is talking about your business and where are they commenting.
Food Product Recall Training
If you are interested in learning more on how to develop, implement and manage your food recall program register your interest in our upcoming virtual training by clicking here.
Share your food product recalls experience
Do you have a systems in place to manage social media in your food business? Share your thoughts and experience with the HACCP Mentor community by leaving a comment below.