Raw poultry, birds, eggs, infected food-handlers, rodents, animals and their environments.
Salmonella poisoning has been linked to chicken, duck, eggs, contaminated raw fruits and vegetables, nuts, spices, unpasteurized dairy products.
It does happen:
Check out the following information on some food poisoning outbreaks that have been linked to Salmonella.
- Tahini Sesame Paste
- Live Poultry
- Alfalfa Sprouts and Spicy Sprouts
- Shell Eggs
- Peanut Butter
Prevention and Control:
- Thoroughly cooking all food products from animal sources or that contain such products.
- Effective hand washing before, during and after food preparation and after using the toilet.
- Prevent cross contamination between raw and cooked food products.
- Avoid the use of eggs with cracked shells
- Ensure premises is free of pests especially rodents.
If you have any examples and applicable prevention and control measures please share your knowledge by commenting below.