Food product recalls seem to daily occurrence around the world. Even though you may not have experienced one in your food business, it may only be a matter of time if you are not adequately prepared. Welcome to HACCP Chat where educational information and interviews are delivered to you in audio format. In this episode, I talk to Steve Heather from The Recall Institute about the real cost of food recalls.
In this HACCP Chat, Steve and I discuss:
- The real cost of food recalls
- Food product recall risk assessments
- The strategy of food recalls
- Advertising food product recalls
- Brand damage
- Direct and indirect costs of food recalls
- Hepatitis A in frozen Berries recall
- The importance of product recall insurance
- Surviving a food product recall
- The importance of business systems to prevent food recalls
- Food recall training
- The difference between a crisis and a recall
- Attitude is everything
- The international standard for product recalls
Links mentioned in this HACCP Chat
The following links and resources were mentioned in this episode:
My top three takeaways
- Implement good systems. Like anything in the world of food safety and quality compliance, you need to have robust systems that have been documented, implemented and maintained for your food business.
- Food Recall Insurance. Review your current food recall insurance to see if you going to be adequately covered. Have a chat to your local insurance broker to have a review completed.
- Brand Protection. It is very hard to put a cost on the any brand damage that may occur if your business goes through a food recall.
Food Product Recall Training
If you are interested in learning more on how to develop, implement and manage your food recall program register your interest in our upcoming virtual training by clicking here.
Share your food product recalls experience
Have you ever been through a food recall? Did your food business survive? Share your experience with the HACCP Mentor community by leaving a comment below.